La Grange – Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital presents “Backyard-ology®: A free family health and wellness fair” from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2 at The Village Green, 914 Hillgrove Avenue, Western Springs.
The event features health and wellness mini-lectures, a live “ask the doctor” opportunity, children’s activities and games including a moon jump and face painting, a raffle, refreshments and more. Children can participate in the “pumpkin push” relay race, climb the rock wall and join the “fruit ninja station,” where they will learn how to construct a tasty fruit snack.
Diabetes screenings, hand-washing demonstrations and FIT detection tests (an at-home colon cancer screening) will be available and visitors also can sign up for screening mammograms and Heart Score tests. The Heart Score test is a one-on-one private appointment that includes a personal lifestyle analysis, cholesterol screening, blood sugar test, EKG test, blood pressure assessment, body fat analysis and metabolic syndrome screening.
The mini-lectures cover a variety of timely topics, including:
- “Why should I get a health screening?” presented by Dr. Karen Botsoe, an internal medicine specialist, at 4:15 p.m.
- “Are ‘fad’ diets bad diets?” presented by Dr. Steven Sauerberg, a family medicine specialist, at 4:45 p.m.
- “Get up, get moving, be active,” presented by Dr. Lori Turnock-Biwer, a specialist in family medicine and sports medicine, at 5:15 p.m.
- “Should I go to the ER?” presented by Dr. Ted Patras, an emergency medicine specialist, and Nancy Burke, director of emergency and outpatient services, at 5:45 p.m.
- “The Healthy Diabetic,” presented by Dr. Uzma Syed, an endocrinologist, and Jacque McKernan, at 6:15 p.m.
“Now that kids are back in school, it’s the perfect time for families to spend an evening together outside having fun and learning how to stay healthy this fall,” said Rick Wright, chief executive officer of Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital.
For more information, visit www.keepingyouwell.com/backyardology.
Adventist Midwest Health includes Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital, Adventist GlenOaks Hospital, Adventist Hinsdale Hospital and Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital. To find a physician, visit www.keepingyouwell.com.