Your Account
close button

Use our patient tools for secure, convenient, 24/7 access. Learn more

This facility is a member of

Connect with us:


Hospital volunteers package 7,433 meals for the needy
Glendale Heights – Adventist GlenOaks Hospital employees and their families recently joined a local charitable organization to package meals for the needy. The 25 volunteers packaged 7,433 meals in only two hours to help hungry adults and children. The event took place June 20 at the Harris Bank of Roselle.

“Giving back to our local community is extremely important to all of us at Adventist GlenOaks Hospital,” said DeLora Hagen, manager of pastoral care at Adventist GlenOaks Hospital. “It was a lot of fun working with so many staff members and their families, while doing something so valuable.”

According to Hagen, the Spiritual Life Committee at Adventist GlenOaks Hospital initiated the volunteer opportunity with Kids Against Hunger, a Minnesota-based agency with a local office in Bartlett.

Those who volunteered packaged food consisting of a dry soy product fortified with vitamins, a dehydrated vegetable blend, chicken-flavored vitamin and mineral powder, and high-quality white rice. Once the dehydrated products are mixed together and rehydrated, the casserole or soup creation holds enough nutrition for one person for one day.

In addition, 90 percent of this food will travel to Nicaragua where it will contribute to feeding over 19,000 people. Meanwhile, the remaining 10 percent of the packaged food will help feed local senior citizens in need through the Humanitarian Service Project.

Because it costs approximately $1,800 to fund such a process, Adventist GlenOaks Hospital made a donation of $1,000 to support the Spiritual Life Committee’s mission to help the Kids Against Hunger organization. Donations were also made by local businesses to help fund the rest of the costs.

“The time and energy our employees put into this event is truly appreciated,” said Chief Executive Officer Brinsley Lewis. “This project further extends our mission of extending the healing ministry of Christ at an international level.”

While this is the first year the program was implemented, Adventist GlenOaks Hospital employees are already looking forward to future volunteer projects with the Kids Against Hunger organization.

“This was a great bonding experience for everyone that was involved with this opportunity,” said Hagen. “We are very interested in helping with this project again in the future.”