Glendale Heights – Brenda Retuta, a charge nurse in the behavioral medicine unit at Adventist GlenOaks Hospital, was named the hospital’s Nurse of the Year. A nurse for 19 years, Retuta has been at GlenOaks since 1999.
Nurses and other hospital employees submitted nominations for the annual honor, presented Friday, May 8, at the hospital to celebrate National Nurses Week. Retuta will a receive $1,000 reward from the hospital for her achievement.
“Sometimes I feel like her kind and caring words to our clients are better than medicine,” one of Retuta’s colleagues wrote in her nomination form. “She maintains her pleasant demeanor even on the most hectic nights.”
Her supervisor, nurse manager Lovelyn Bacero, called Retuta “a very dedicated, strong leader who is a good mentor and role model to all of her peers.”
The Glendale Heights resident works the night shift and is an immigrant from the Philippines.
“This award belongs not to me but to all the nurses here,” Retuta said upon receiving the award. Retuta also was recognized as the 2009 behavioral health unit 1B section winner.
Other section winners are as follows:
• Emergency department: Cindy Aguinaga, RN, TNS, ECRN, U.S. Army Reserve officer, Willowbrook resident
• Intensive care unit/critical care unit: Teresa Saavedra, RN, ASN, BSN candidate, Lombard resident
• Special Additions Birth Centre (obstetrics unit): Elvia Cruz, RN, Carol Stream resident
• Medical/surgical unit: Cecile DeCastro, RN, ACLS, PALS, Streamwood resident
• Ambulatory care (category also includes cardiology, cardiac catheterization laboratory, case management, employee health, and quality): Cece Stagen-Brucks, RN, Lombard resident
• Behavioral health unit 1A: Soni John, RN, Addison
• Behavioral health, gerontology unit: Parmjit “Pam” Kaur, RN, Carol Stream resident • Nursing leadership: Becky Gierling, RN,BSBA, Crete resident
• Surgical services (operating room): Liza Bunag, RN, BSN, Carol Stream resident