Lung cancer claims 200,000 U.S. lives each year. That’s something we want to change.
With early diagnosis and proper treatment, lung cancer patients are living longer than ever before. At Adventist Midwest Health, physicians use the most advanced methods of imaging, biopsy and analysis to diagnose patients. Treatment by a multidisciplinary team allows patients to receive university-level care close to home.
Are You At Risk for Developing Lung Cancer?
If all of the following statements describe you, then you should consider having a screening scan of your lungs:
- You are between 55-74 years old
- You are a current or former smoker
- You have no prior history of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer) within the past five years
Please review this screening with your doctor and request a referral. If you do not have a doctor, contact us for a referral at 630-856-7500.
Adventist Midwest Health offers advanced lung cancer treatments close to home, including:
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS), a minimally invasive procedure during which a thoracic surgeon operates using a tiny video camera and surgical instruments inserted through small incisions between the ribs. VATS is used for many purposes, including biopsy (obtaining tissue samples for testing), removing tumors, or lobectomy (removing lobes of a lung). Compared to traditional open surgery, which requires severing bone and/or cutting through muscle, VATS reduces the risk of infection, post-surgical pain and recovery time.
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy