Your Account
close button

Use our patient tools for secure, convenient, 24/7 access. Learn more

This facility is a member of


Connect with us:

The History of Adventist La Grange Memorial Hospital

   
Groundbreaking, 1953

Grateful that his sons returned home safely from World War II, Hinsdale resident William Jordan Sr. donated 10 acres of land in 1946 for the site of a community hospital in La Grange to honor the men and women who had served in the World Wars.  The land was adjacent to the La Grange Country Club and down the road from Vaughan’s Seed Company and Nursery. The area now known as Springdale in Western Springs was still open prairie.

Local leaders shared his vision for a community hospital to serve the area that was gaining popularity with many returning servicemen seeking homes in new suburban developments. Homeowners liked the appeal of the rural countryside and the promise of quality healthcare nearby.

A grass-roots movement led to the establishing of La Grange Community Memorial General Hospital. That support was evident on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 10, 1950, when WWI veteran Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker delivered his keynote address at the hospital’s groundbreaking ceremony with thousands of area residents in attendance.Nurses, 1962

Financing came from a $25,000 gift from American Legion Post No. 41, an anonymous gift of $16,000 and $1.6 million in contributions from area businesses and local residents. Jordan helped draft the hospital’s by-laws and served as its first board president.

The $3 million hospital admitted its first patient on July 5, 1955, to its 98-bed facility on Willow Springs Road. The hospital offered state-of-the art technology in a community setting, its layout was architecturally considered ahead of its time, and its semi-private rooms were the talk of the town for their cost-saving concept. The two-story hospital was built around courtyards that offered lots of light and a pleasing atmosphere to staff and patients, to serve the five villages. By 1958, the service area included the growing suburbs of La Grange, La Grange Park, Western Springs, Brookfield, La Grange Highlands, McCook, Westchester, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Westmont, and Downers Grove.  Expansion became urgent.  Support from area families in 1961 made Community Memorial a 225 bed, $5.5 million medical center.

Its Medical Staff was very cohesive, all board-certified physicians. Many came at the personal invitation of a former colleague to start their practices near the brand new hospital. La Grange was known for requiring stricter certifications for its Medical Staff, such as requiring its anesthesiologists to be doctors. Memorial stone

With the addition of a state-of-the-art Patient Care Center in 2006, the hospital furthers its dedication to the community and mission of providing compassionate care that inspires health and healing. The spacious private rooms, expanded family-focused areas and a user-friendly architectural design now align with the superb clinical care delivered at the hospital. The 225,000 square-foot Patient Care Center offers private rooms with bathrooms and showers, cable television, convenient laptop computer data ports and sofa beds for loved ones who wish to stay with a patient. The new facility features ease of access to the campus, as well as efficient clustering of medical services, welcoming interiors and integration of technology. The emergency department, operating suites and recently renovated birthing center, as well as other treatment centers, are within steps of the Patient Care Center.  As we have grown, our services now include:

Aging Resource Center Birth Center / Childbirth Education Cancer Care Cardiac Care Conficare ACT II Mature Market Activity Program 
 Diabetes Support Dietary / Nutritional Counseling Emergency Services / Rooftop Helipad Family Medicine / Residency Program  Gastroenterology
 Geriatrics Program  Hearing and Vision Home Health Hospice Interventional Radiology
Laboratory Services Nursing Orthopedic Joint Replacement Pain Management Pharmacy
Pulmonary/Respiratory Therapists Radiology/Imaging Rehabilitaton (physical, occupational & speech) Sleep Disorders Center Social Services
Surgical Services Urology Vascular Lab Services Wound Care Center   
         
         

 

The twelve hospital founders

 

Share