In order to help us make your stay at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital go as smoothly as possible, please follow these instructions before your surgery.
Feel free to contact Pre-Admission Services at 630-856-7074 (Mon-Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m ) if you have any questions.
1-2 Weeks Prior to Surgery
- Please stop aspirin and non-steroidal medications such as Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Naproxen, Celebrex, & Motrin seven days before surgery. If you take aspirin daily under a doctor’s supervision, please check with that doctor before stopping.
- Please stop all herbal preparations two weeks before surgery.
- Please print and fill out all pre-admission forms and bring them with you on the day of your surgery.
Day Before Surgery
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery. This includes coffee, tea, gum or mints. It is very important that your stomach be empty for surgery, with the exception of medications with sips of water only.
Pre-Op Phone Confirmation
You will receive a phone call after 4 p.m. on the day before your surgery (or Friday if surgery is scheduled for Monday) to confirm your check-in time.
Medications & General Health
You will be given instructions on which medications to take before surgery, which you should take with sips of water only.
Smoking and alcohol should be avoided 24 hours before and after your surgery.
Should you develop a cold, fever, sore throat, flu or other health problem before surgery, please notify your surgeon immediately. It is possible that your surgery may be rescheduled.
Bathing, Showering & Skin Prep
- Use Hibiclens*, an antiseptic antimicrobial soap, or generic chlorhexidine soap when you bath or shower the night before & morning of your surgery. Please avoid using soaps on the face, genitals or mucus membranes. Do not use deodorants, lotions or powders after cleaning your skin. If you have allergies or sensitivities to soaps – do not use the suggested procedures and use your own soap.
- Please do not shave near the area of your surgery. If your surgeon wants to remove hair, it will be done with clippers prior to surgery.
- You may use your regular shampoo on your hair.
- Follow your normal oral care routine with toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Just be careful not to swallow water or mouthwash.
- Do not wear make-up the day of surgery. No nail polish is preferred.
- Use clean towels, bed clothing, and bed linens.
*Hibiclens can be purchased at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital's pharmacy on B2 level or at your local pharmacy.
Clothing & Personal Items
Please dress comfortably. You will be asked to change into a hospital gown on arrival. It is your option to bring robe and slippers.
Locker space is limited. If someone is accompanying you to the hospital, please leave luggage with them or in the car until after your surgery (if you are to be admitted).
Please leave all jewelry and valuables at home. Please leave all money at home, unless financial services has contacted you, in which case you should follow their directions. Please give yourself an additional 10 minutes if you have to stop at Patient Registration for payment.
If you wear contact lenses, you will be required to remove them for surgery (please bring your supplies).
Partials & dentures must be removed before going to the operating room.