New parents have a lot to learn. A wide variety of free classes are available through the Birck Family Birth Center. We invite you and your spouse or partner to take full advantage of all we have to offer:
General Courses are recommended as an overview for expecting mothers and their partners.
- Birth Center tours
- Pediatric tours
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Basics
- Marvelous Multiples
Exercise Courses prepare women and their bodies for childbirth.
Childbirth Courses prepare women and their partners for the birth experience.
- Prepared Childbirth
- Prepared Childbirth Marathon
- Prepared Childbirth Refresher
- Vaginal Birth after Caesarean (VBAC class)
Courses for siblings prepare the entire family for the birth experience.
Child care courses give parents the skills they will need once they arrive home with their baby.
Safe Sleeping Practices
What is safe sleep? Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the leading cause of death among infants between one month and one year of age. This is what you can do to create a safe sleep environment and reduce your baby's risk of SIDS.
- Always place a baby on his or her back to sleep, for naps and at night, to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Use a firm sleep surface, covered by a fitted sheet.
- Your baby should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch or on a chair alone, with you, or with anyone else.
- Keep soft objects such as pillows and blankets, toys and bumpers out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Give your baby a dry pacifier that is not attached to a string for naps and at night to reduce the risk of SIDS.
For additional information and education on safe sleep please visit cribsforkids.org.
For more information on any of the classes or information above, call the Birck Family Birth Center at 630-856-4900.