Before your surgery, your surgeon will discuss your procedure in detail with you. It is also very important to discuss your overall health and your health history.
You need to let your surgeon know if you have any current/past health conditions, are allergic to any drugs, or have ever had a bad reaction to anesthesia. In addition, make a list of all the medications that you take, including aspirin, injections, all prescription and over-the-counter drugs, herbal supplements, vitamins, and recreational drugs, and give it to your surgeon.
Your doctor may also want you to meet with other medical experts, such as a dietitian and/or psychologist, to help you understand what will happen during and after your Adjustable Gastric Band procedure. They will help you make certain that you are mentally and emotionally prepared for surgery and your new life with your Adjustable Gastric Band.
Additionally, you will have certain pre-operative testing before your surgery to evaluate your general state of health.
On the day before your procedure, your surgeon and medical team will provide you with a complete list of instructions on how to prepare for the surgery. Here are two general guidelines:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Bring a friend or relative. Ask a friend or a family member to be at the hospital with you for comfort and support and to drive you home after the surgery. You may also want him or her to help you get settled at home.
On the day before your procedure, you will need to follow specific instructions provided by your surgeon and medical team. Your team will provide you with a complete list of instructions on how to prepare for the surgery. Here are two general guidelines:
- Shower or bathe with antibacterial soap.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Make a list of your regular medications, including dosage strength and times and bring it with you to the hospital. Bring any inhalers or CPAP mask and tubing.
- Bring any supplies needed to remove contacts, dentures, etc.
DO NOT …
- Eat or drink (as instructed in your pre-testing appointment or by your surgeon). This includes gum, mints, and water.
- Wear makeup, including lipstick and mascara or nail polish. Absolutely no jewelry can be worn.
- Bring cash, credit cards or a laptop to the hospital. Leave them at home, if possible.
- Do not apply lotions or powders after pre-operative shower.
On the day of surgery, you will be admitted to the hospital on the morning of your surgery to Same Day Surgery. You may be in the operating room for two or three hours, but the actual procedure typically takes about one hour. Then you will spend a few hours in the recovery room. Once the anesthesia has worn off, you may feel some pain or discomfort, which can usually be treated with ordinary pain relievers. The Same Day Surgery staff will help you get out of bed and start moving as soon as possible to help prevent blood clots, respiratory problems, and bedsores.
For gastric banding surgery, hospitalization is usually less than 24 hours. The hospital stay may be longer if there are complications.